Teenage boy standing outside school building

Applying to independent boarding schools and colleges

Applications can occasionally be made online, or forms can be downloaded from school and college websites

Most independent boarding schools and tutorial/sixth-form colleges will require some or all of the following:

  • Details of who will be responsible for paying your fees.
  • Evidence of your level of English (see above).
  • Two passport-sized colour photographs.
  • Your passport number.
  • A copy of your birth certificate.


  • you can usually enrol for a course at any time, but early application is recommended
  • to allow sufficient time for your visa application to be processed
  • that, if you are offered a place on a course, you must write and accept or decline the offer
  • that a deposit will almost certainly be required
  • when your application is accepted, you will receive a formal letter of acceptance, which you will need for visa purposes, known as the ‘Visa letter’ (see Student visas for entry to the UK).

Applying for courses in the UK
Applying to FE colleges
Applying for undergraduate study
Applying for postgraduate study
UK student visas
Useful contacts

Image credit: Mark Bowden